Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings

This was great,  easy and comforting.
Here is what I did.

In my slow cooker I layered
1.  medium sized whole red potatoes
2. 1 quartered onion
3 Frozen chicken breast
4 carrots,  ( celery and leeks would be good too.)

Then I mixed
1 can cream of chicken
about 1/2 can of broth
some poultry seasoning  1 tsp maybe
2 teaspoons about of Susie Q seasoning
and dumped it over the chicken.


Dumplings
These were so good and light! 
1 C Flout
3/4 C cake flour (softaskilk)
2 t baking powder
1/2 t soda
3/4 t salt
3 T shortening
I mixed these in my kitchenaid with the cake paddle untill it was crumby (just go slow!)

Add 1 large egg
3/4 C butter milk.

about 40 minutes before serving,  turn it up to high,  and twenty minutes before serving use a big spoon to shape a dumpling and place it ON TOP of  a piece of chicken or potato.  If you just put it on the sauce it will just disintigrate. 
They don't brown so just give a little toothpick test.  
So Yummy

1 comment: