Monday, May 3, 2010

Old Spaghetti Factory Mizithra Pasta

• 1 c. butter
• 1 c. Mizithra cheese (a greek hard cheese)
• pasta of choice

Cut 2 sticks of butter into 8 pieces and place in a sauce pan. Place the pan of butter over medium high heat. Bring the butter to a slow boil. Once the butter begins to boil, stir constantly to prevent residue from sticking to the bottom of the pan. As the butter cooks, it will start to foam and rise. continue stirring, otherwise the butter foam could overflow (about 5 minutes).
Once the butter stops foaming and rising, cook until amber in color (another 1-2 minutes). It will start to smell like caramel. (yum). Turn off the heat and remove the pan from the burner. Let the sediment settle to the bottom then pour the browned butter Through a strainer into a small bowl. Do not distrub the residue at the bottom of the pan.
Boil your pasta of choice (we use spaghetti noodles). Drain pasta and divide into four servings, then spread 1/4 c. of Mizithra over each pasta serving. Top with 1/4 c. hot browned butter.

****In the restaurant you can order this dish with another sauce along side. That's how I like it. So I made some fresh meatballs and served those with marinara, and then this along side. Delish! However, because I did this, I probably didn't even use 1/4 of the butter it calls for. Next time I'll cut it in 1/4. Oh, and I also bought fresh pasta----WOW--I'm not sure I'll be able to go back!

2 comments: